From: Jarmo Moilanen (halos_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/25/2004

Hi Michael and all,

Yes there is heliac arc too. It is better in that one (100-0007) photo which is taken up right from the moon.

We have allready check those Arto Oksanen's photos and this Great Lunar Display seem to has at least these halos: (sorry, that I do not use those "selene"-names)

Easy to see in photos:

- 22° halo
- 22° tangent arcs
- parhelia
- sun pillar
- 46° halo
- parhelic circle
- infralateral arcs
- (upper suncave)Parry arc
- Wegener arcs
- subhelic arc
- Greenler (diffuse) anthelic arcs
- (anthelion)

Not so easy to see (need some unsharp mask to see clearly):

- heliac arc (100-0001, 100-0007)
- lower sunvex Parry arc (100-0008, 100-0009)
- lower Tape arcs (or lower Parry infralateral arcs)at least in 100-0013
it seems to be have some curvature. In others it is more or less just not so convincing brightening on infralateral arc.

In one photo there is weak arc which may be a halo or not. If it is a halo, it is subanthelic arc.

In car's head light photos 100-0020...100-0022 that Y-shaped pillar is in matter of fact 22° tangent arc. In photos 100-0022 and 100-0028..29 those horisontal "light beams" from the lamps are parhelia.

In photo 100-0003 there is this diffuse X-shape system. It is possible (we do not know for sure yet) that it is compination of Greenler (diffuse) anthelic arcs and Tricker arcs formed by car's head lights! There is in matter of fact two Xs in that picture. There is also a narrow white arc in right lower corner which seems to be also formed by car's head lights. It may be Wegener arc or subhelic arc or something else. Identification is not sure yet.

Jarmo Moilanen
Finish Halo Observers Network