From: Harald Edens (edens_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/17/2005

The origin of the name "Belt of Venus" lies in ancient Greek mythology. Venus was the name the Romans gave to the Greek goddess Aphrodite, the goddess of love. The myth is that Aphrodite had a magic belt, either pink or gold (I don't remember) with which she could seduce any man. Every goddess unsuccessfully tried to obtain that belt from her.

I'm not completely sure that the countertwilight phenomenon relates to this
belt of Venus/Aphrodite, but it seems quite logical, since it is a band (belt), it is pinkish and can be beautiful. It's not that seductive I guess, but it does make you grab your camera at times.

Harald