From: Harald Edens (edens_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/18/2005

This morning I was pleasantly surprised while photographing lenticular clouds over Socorro, New Mexico. I was not paying much attention to the sun at first, since it was behind altocumulus clouds, but when it rose to an altitude of 20 degrees, I noticed an extended but very diffuse light pillar up to 10 degrees below and 15 degrees above the sun. There was a curious silvery white glow in the cirrostratus clouds around the sun.

I found this a bit unusual for such high solar elevation and started photographing the area. A few minutes after this an elliptical halo formed
in the glow, practically only visible above the sun, and extended about 8 degrees away from the sun in its vertical major axis. I estimated the width (radius) to be around 5 degrees.

The halo was silvery white and formed in jetstream cirrostratus (i.e. not directly related to the altocumulus and lenticularis).

I made between 40 and 50 photographs using a Nikon D100 and Nikon FE. The accompanying photos were taken using the D100 with 35mm Nikkor lens (the D100 has a 1.5x field crop compared to 35mm film). I crossed two polarizers and held these in hand so the sun's disk remained visible, thus the shape and extend of the elliptical halo can be estimated. Unfortunately the halo was already gone by the time I could start photographing using these polarizers and I fear those photos are little useful.

Time of start of my observation was 7:30 MST and the halo lasted about 5 to
10 minutes. The glow/light pillar remained however, and is still visible as of the time of this writing (9:30 MST). There has been a stationary lenticular cloud obscuring the region above the sun for the past hour, so I
don't know if the elliptical halo is still there.

I was lucky that I had all my camera equipment with me at the time. This is the first time I get to see this type of halo - I have been looking for it for years. The fact that I see this one just after Michael Ellestad saw
and photographed one a few weeks ago seems to be utter coincidence, since I
haven't been paying more attention to the sky than usual to search for this
halo.

If anybody is interested for research purposes I can send you more images and give you the exact time and location of each photograph. The accompanying two photos were taken at 62mm (image 052, 7:30) and 40mm (image 061, 7:35) with a 1.5x field crop from the D100.

Harald Edens