From: Russ Sampson (Russell.Sampson_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/24/1998

A couple of curious observations of green clouds associated with severe weather appear to suggest that reflectance of ground colouration (i.e. vegetation) may not be the complete explanation. During one tornadic event
I witnessed, the green colouration appeared to come from a very small section located at the side of the cloud. In another instance the green colour appeared in a small opening in the low cloud giving the appearance that I was looking up into the interior of the cloud. In both cases the green colour was surrounded by neutral gray. Also, in each case the green colour was associated with a very particular section of the storm, a bright
area in the advancing arcus cloud. In the green clouds I witnessed on Baffin Island (apparently caused by reflected light from the sea ice) there
was no selectivity in the location of the green colouration. In other words, ALL the clouds appeared green.

Russell (Russ) D. Sampson
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences 1-26 Earth Sciences Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6G 2E3
Fax: (403)-492-7589