From: Veikko M{kel{ (pvtmakel_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/03/1998

 NLC OBSERVATIONS IN FINLAND 1997
 Report by Veikko Mäkelä

 Ursa Atmospheric Optics Section have recorded NLC observations since  early 1980's. Earlier the observations have been published in paper  reports. Since 1989 Reports have been published only in Ursa Minor  bulletin of Ursa sections.

 The summer 1997 was rather successful, even there were only seven  observers. July 1997 was one of the most active months in the history  of the section. 22 display were detected, 4 nights were negative and 5  without observations. During Aug 1-16 there were still 7 displays.  Unfortunately June was poorly observed, partly due to the lights skies  in the most parts of Finland.

 With verbal description, some numeric estimations have been used:

 W   wideness   (1-5, 1 = single forms, 5 = all-sky)
 I   intensity  (1-5, 1 = faint, 5 = remarkable bright)
 S   structures (I = veil, II = bands, III = billows, IV = whirls,
                 0 = unkonwn, unclassified, K = "knots", S = "crossing
streaks"
                 N = "net-like")

 r reliability (0 = unsure, 1 = quite sure, 2 = sure)

 OBSERVERS

 Name              Code   Sites                         obs  neg

 Jani Katava       KAT    Helsinki, Raisio               6    -
 Tomi Lyytikäinen  LYY    Helsinki                       3    -
 Olli Manner       MAN    Helsinki                       3    -
 Veikko Mäkelä     MAK    Helsinki, Hämeenlinna          4    2
 Pekka Parviainen  PAR    Kustavi, Turku, Paimio        14    -
 Leo Rajala        RAJ    Jämsä                         18    7
 Teemu Öhman       ÖHM    Oulu, Äänekoski, Hämeenlinna   3    1

 obs = NLC displays, neg = negative observations

 JUNE  27/28.6. W=2, I=3, S=II+IV, r=2

 Small display with two small areas. Bands in both areas.  MAK,RAJ  JULY  1/2.7. W=3, I=4, S=I+II+III+IV, r=2

 Quite a large NLC area. Some billows, which disappered later. One strong
 whirl and band structure. Top brightness was 4 (1-5).  LYY, RAJ  2/3.7. W=3, I=2, S=I+II, r=1

 About 60 degrees wide area with veil and bands. Few bands also in  eastern sky. Intensity was low maybe due to light sky.  RAJ  5/6.7. NEG, r=1

 MAK  6/7.7. W=3, I=3, S=I+II, r=1

 About 90 degrees wide area. Veil+band type display. The brightest  structure was a strong band (I=4).
 MAN,PAR  7/8.7. W=2, I=2, S=0, r=1

 50 degrees wide area with undefined structures. Quite faint display. The
 weather conditions were poor.
 PAR  8/9.7. W=3, I=4, S=I+II+III+IV, r=2

 Display mainly in the western sky from all the thre observers. Band+billow
 type structure, bright billow observed by Parviainen and Lyytikäinen. The
 top intensity was 4. The stereo photographing by Parviainen.  KAT,LYY,PAR  11/12.7. W=4, I=5, S=I+II+III+IV+S+P, r=1

 Bright display detected only by Lyytikäinen (perhaps cloudy in other  sites). Wide area, all the structures. Dominating forms were bands and  strong whirl. Yellowish and brownish color also observed.  LYY  12/13.7. W=4, I=3, S=I+II+III+S+P, r=1

 A half-sky display by Rajala (30 degrees over zenith). Manin band type  display, with "knots" and crossing streaks. Also some billows existed.  Fast motion to northwest.

 RAJ  13/14.7. W=4, I=4, S=I,II,III,IV,S,P, r=2

 As large as the night before. Bands were directed SE-NW. Very active  and dynamics display with sharp edged bands and strong whirled area.  Some herring-like structures and billows, too. The motion westwards or  northwestwards.
 MAN,PAR,RAJ  14/15.7. W=1, I=4, S=II+0, r=2

 The fourth night with NLC. Small area display in north with band type  structure. Two bright yellowish patches reported by Mäkelä. The NLC  disappeared about 1:00 local daylight saving time.  KAT,MAK,PAR  15/16.7. r=1

 In the beginning of the night negative observations (KAT,MAK,RAJ). At  2:00 local time Manner report some NLC.  MAN,KAT,MAK,RAJ  16/17.7. W=2, I=4, S=I,II, r=2

 Some faint bands and veil. Area was first in NW-NE, later in east by  Rajala. Some cloud distrubed observations.  MAK,PAR,RAJ  17/18.7. W=2, I=3, S=I,II,III, r=1

 Medium bright display with 70 degrees wide area. Sharp IIb bands as  dominating structures in NW. Also some billow groups. Possible motion  to NW.
 RAJ  18/19.7. W=2, I=2, S=II, r=1

 Faint bands in NNW. The observations were interrupted by clouds.  RAJ  19/20.7. W=4, I=3, S=I,II, r=2

 Mainly western sky display with quite a large are (up to 50-60 degrees  by Mäkelä and Öhman, over zenith by Rajala). Mainly band type display,  some billow observed by Öhman. Top intensity 3.  MAK, PAR, RAJ, ÖHM  20/21.7. NEG, r=1

 RAJ  21/22.7. NEG, r=1

 RAJ  22/23..7. W=2, I=3, S=I,II,III, r=1

 40 degrees wide band+billow area in N. The brigthnees increased (max.  I=3) to 1:00 local time, then the NLCs disappered.  PAR  23/24.7. W=4, I=3, S=I,II,III,IV, r=1

 Quite a large display, upper limit almost in zenith. Veil, bands and  billows. In the midnight strong band with crossing streaks. Later the  band disappered, streaks were left. Motion to SW. The intensity  decreased at 1:00, probably due to Earth's shadow.  RAJ  24/25.7. W=2, I=3, S=II,III, r=1

 Bands and billows. Brightness mainly 3, but few bands brightened up  to value 5 for a moment. Motion southwards. There were some cloud  disturbance in observation.
 PAR  25/26.7. W=3, I=3, S=I,II,III, r=1

 Veil+bands and strange lenticularis like billows or patches. They  were quite regular sized (0,5x3-4 and 0,5x1-2 degress). The intensity  was 2-3 and the area width about 70 degrees.  RAJ  26/27.7. W=2, I=3, S=II,III, r=1

 Fifth night with NLC in row! In the beginning faint, later medium  bright bands and billows. There was cloud disturbance in observation.  PAR  28/29.7. W=2, I=4, S=I,II,III, r=1

 Poor observing conditions. Some rather bright band+billow structures  were visible throught cloud caps.
 RAJ.  29/30.7. W=2, I=1, r=1

 Some unindentified faint NLC forms. Clouds disturbed observations.  PAR  30/31.7. W=3, I=3, S=I,II,IV,0, r=2

 The observing conditions were poor in both sites. Some veil and  unsharp (IIa) bands was observed. Rajala reported also whirl  structures and some unclassified NLC forms. The reports of the  both observer are made about different NLC areas. The intensity  was 3.
 PAR,RAJ  31.7./1.8. NEG, r=1

 RAJ  AUGUST  1/2.8. W=3, I=2, S=I,II, r=1

 Rather faint veil+band type display. The area was small, 20 degress  wide in low altitude in N.
 RAJ  3/4.8. W=2, I=2, S=II, r=1

 A little unsure case. Some bands in NE.  ÖHM  4/5.8. NEG, r=1

 RAJ  5/6.8. NEG, r=1

 RAJ  6/7.8. W=2, I=2, S=I,II,III, r=2

 Veil and bands between N and NE. Later the area expanded northeastwards  (due to Earth's shadow?). Later there were also billows. The intensity  were low (I=2).
 PAR, RAJ  8/9.8. W=3, I=3, S=I,II, r=2

 Veil and bands. In Raisio, Southwestern Finland Katava observed  20 degrees wide bluish area with veil. The intensity was low in  the beginning, but the display brightened later.  KAT,RAJ,ÖHM  9/10.8. NEG, r=1

 RAJ  10/11.8. W=4, I=4, S=I,II,III,IV,S,P, r=2

 The display with many structures (veil, bands, whirl, "knots" and  "streaks"). Billows were reported by Öhman. In the midnight the  display were low in the north, but in the morning, 4:00 local time,  the areas expanded as an all-sky display. The top intensity was I=4.  PAR, RAJ, ÖHM  13/14.8. W=3, I=4, S=I,II,III, r=1

 Quite a nice display. Some medium bright NLC (veil, bands and billows).  There were also some brighter points in NLC forms.  (tm)HM

 16/17.8. W=2, I=4, S=II, r=1

 The last reported NLC display in 1997. 20 degrees wide group of bands.  it brightened up to I=4 (probable this was contrast effect between dark  sky and NLCs).
 RAJ, ÖHM