From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/16/1997

J Marko Pekkola: "Vs: Carbon dioxide crystal halos" (Nov 15, 19:51): >
> I did have a few papers by Soviet cosmonauts about halos in Earth´s
clouds
> as seen from space station and a lot of others about hypothetical halos
in
> polar stratospheric clouds / noctilucent clouds, but I skipped these as
> stuff belonging to Earth.

This may be slightly off the subject, but I thought to say it anyway.

I doubt one could see halos in noctilucent clouds. According to current understanding, particles in Noctulucent clouds are less than a hundred nanometers in radius, that is, they are way too small to cause geometrical optics like scattering associated to halos. They are more like Rayleigh scatterers, whose scattering pattern is quite smooth, actually nearly isotropic. This holds regardless of their shapes.

  • Timo Nousiainen