From: Les Cowley (lev_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/17/1997

>Now again an
>interesting light phenomena has been found in Finland. I think that it
>is not known in the literature of the atmospheric light phenomena. This
>phenomenon is caused by some algaes on the water surface. Very bright
>coronas, stripes of colours and light arcs have been observed. The
>colours of the phenomenon are the brightest that I have seen in nature.

>Do you have any observations about this kind of effects? Is anybody
>interested in simulating the effects? The photos are INCREDIBLE!!!!

Is it likely that the corona phenomena at least can be explained by diffraction effects from
algea that are on or over the water surface. To obtain very bright colours the algea would
need to be similarly sized i.e. monodisperse. They could well then collectively diffract
light in the same manner as the small liquid droplets that give rise to coronas. More
speculatively, if some algea are elongated then additional scattering effects might be seen.

Can we see a photo be put on a web page please?

Les Cowley

   lev_at_dial.pipex.com
   Cheshire, England