From: William F. Robinson (rarebook_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/31/1997

One late comment on visibility of faint objects with and without optical aids: I have a very clear southern horizon which allows me some nice summer views of the Scorpius - Sagittarius nebulae. I use a well-mounted 11x80 binoculars on clear nights. However, when there is a background haze to the sky, the large binoculars do little to bring out the Messier objects. Yet if I switch to my modest pocket Nikon 9x25s, there they are! My uneducated suggestion is that it would seem that there is a visual thresh-hold beneath which the eye sees complete black. With the pocket binoculars the hazy sky was below that level, and the nebulae above it, and they were visible, despite the small amount of contrast between the two. The large light-gathering 11x80s elevated the background sky above that visual level, and the sky and nebulae blended into each other.
So on good nights I use the big binoculars, on bad nights the little ones.
William F. Robinson
rarebook_at_iconn.net