From: Gary A. Becker (gabecker_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/27/1997

At 09:20 AM 8/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks to Joe Cali, Gary Becker, and Veikko Makela for their kind
>will forward a paraphrase of these answers to the original requester. I
did
>have one question, however: both Joe and Gary seemed to agree that
increasing
>the magnification (e.g., from unity to 7x) on an extended source like a
lunar
>halo should decrease its contrast. However, my experience in observing
faint,
>extended deep-sky objects is that increasing magnification (up to a
certain
>point) will generally actually INCREASE the contrast of the faint source
>against the dark-sky background. Do observers of bright light phenomena
(such
>as lunar halos and sundogs) generally find that this conventional
"deep-sky
>wisdom" is actually reversed?? Again, thanks for forwarding any comments
to me
>directly, as well as to the 'meteoptic' list!
>
>Clear skies (or hazy as you prefer... ;>),
>Lew Gramer
>owner-meteorobs_at_latrade.com

Lew Gramer:
When viewing extended objects, it is the focal ratio of the system which is
paramount; when trying to capture point sources aperture is supreme. However, a halo and the sky are both extended sources. The problem is to make the object which we are interested in viewing stand out against another
extended source, the sky. Consider the sky, the noise which you want to reduce. By using a fast system such as binoculars to view a halo, the sky (which is hazy to begin with when a halo occurs) is brightened to the point
where it measurably interferes with the signal that you want to see--the halo. Contrast is reduced. Using the same optics on an extended source in
dark sky conditions does not noticeably increase the noise, so the object becomes more apparent. But view that same object with the same instrument during a full moon, and the object in question is more difficult to see because contrast is reduced. The sky brightness now interferes. The sky brightness is now enhanced to the point where it becomes obtrusive. There is much more which could be said about this subject, but that probably hit upon your question.

Then, of course Joe Cali noted the magnification question which decreases brightness. Double the magnification and your extended image is 1/4th as bright. However with night binoculars (7 x 50's) the brightness/magnification situation pretty well evens out and the issue should be one of contrast once again. See if Cali agrees with this reasoning.

Bottom line might be that you just don't view diffuse extended objects with
magnification. Now the object is bigger, but the contrast from point to point is less because of the increase in size making the whole phenomenon less easily perceived.

It's past midnight here and bed beckons.

                                        Gary A. Becker
                                        www.astronomy.org