From: Pekkola J Marko (jmpekkola_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/20/1997

Please note: IN THE END A SPECIAL MESSAGE TO ANYBODY LIVING IN SOUTHERN SWEDEN. Hello colleagues!

All three European optical observing networks are uniting their forces for common observing goal for the first time in April this year. Last year Finns and Germans (we had one observer also in Austria and in Holland) tried co-operation at spring time.

The results of that project were e.g. gathered to a beautiful summary leaflet with descriptions of displays, satellite pictures of weather fronts and analysis of rare halos as well as statistics. Everybody who participated the project got the summary leaflet mailed to his/her post box. Also about everybody thought that this big project was good fun! This april the Dutch observing group is coming in to this simple one-month observing project too.

QUESTION
So the question is here: Is there any Europeans among the meteoptic people who would like to participate somehow in our APRIL observing project? Particularly people living outside the Netherlands, Germany or Finland?

The minimum observation is just to draw all halos seen in April. Observation should include date / time / place for each halo drawing and that´s it. If you see big displays or rare halos, then additional descriptions, observing stories, photographs, etc are of course most welcomed.

TO SWEDES: We are especially interested in tracing e.g. cyclones and other weather systems that might bring e.g. rare halos and big displays accross the Europe in April. So as we ve got observers now well accross the mainl Central Europe and on the other hand high up North in Finland, then the biggest and most worrysome whole in our observing map is in Southern Sweden! So for anybody living anywhere  in Sweden, or particularly in Southern Sweden: we hope a lot that you could participate! Please contact to "masillan_at_cc.hut.fi" or "marko.pekkola_at_helsinki.fi". If you are interested we can send you more stuff on this.

Best regards, Marko