From: Pekkola J Marko (JMPEKKOLA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/29/1996

Dear fellow meteopticians,

I might be back on friday with some visual stuff to view. But meanwhile: there has been a few new personal mails about our discussions.

Prof. Walter Tape in Alaska is following our discussions and says he is enjoying it very much.

Two Americans and one Finn who all either probably or explicitly prefer anonymous citations to their mails confess that they either dont understand the main terms we use or the full background of this debate.

It was e.g. surprise that the words "elliptical halo" refer to small vertically oblong ellipses AROUND THE SUN, as a contrast to Bottlinger's rings that are found around the subsun. The existance of elliptical halos was in doubt before these were first documented so late as in 1987. Now people are divided to supporters and opponents of gyration-multiple scattering explanation as reached by Lynch, Gedzelman and Fraser.

Two further comments: "Everybody who has participated" is being thanked from "by far the best science debate in meteoptic sofar". He mentioned Sillanpaa's mail particularly  as concise and understandable and wished for more detailed observations-theory treatment. The same member also wishes for more mails on the actual subject of the debate instead of credit issues.

By chance a completely opposite opinion has though also been expressed within the timespan of 48 h: one person wishes for quote "less theories" and quote "more blood". A refreshingly direct view, I must say. I bet though it wont pass very well in this congregation.

This reminds me of the sympatic and I-wonder-why- not-so-well-published scholar who kept on being so revengeful of decades old halo debates against R.A.R.Tricker that even the subsequent death of his opponent actually managed to escape his eyes without much hindering to further ensue his purposes.

Regards, Marko