From: Marko Riikonen (Marko.Riikonen_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/28/1996

I don't know who first mentioned the snow crystals as a possible origin for elliptical halos and Bott's, but I know that the first forum where the idea was published was July 1994 Applied Optics and article "Subsun's Bottlinger rings and elliptical halos" by Lynch, Gedzelman and Fraser.

Eberhard Traenkle wrote:

"In our model Bottlinger rings and elliptical halos are produced
   by the same crystals at the same time"

Juhana Hakumaki wrote:

"...I feel inclined towards Dr. Traenkle theory."

Just want to make one thing clear here Eberhard. It is not our model. It is the model of the Bottlinger and the guys mentioned above. I don't want to owe other peoples models, especially if they are dying theories. :)

Marko Riikonen