From: Jun Lao (antares_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/09/1996

At 02:22 PM 10/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Saturday, October 5, in Birmingham, Alabama USA we had a great halo
>(22 degrees?) around the sun from 11:30 am until 3:00 pm. It was white
>except for about one-fifth of the circle toward the top which had muted
>rainbow colors (mostly pink) for most of the observing time. That area
>sometimes was white like the other portions.
>
>I have seen a lot of sundogs in this area of the country but this is
>the first halo around the sun that I have seen this far south. It was
>great.
>
>--James Lowery 33 1/2 degrees North, 86 1/2 degrees West
> Birmingham, Alabama USA

James,

It's interesting, but on Friday, Oct. 4, I saw a vivid halo or half halo in
the morning, from about 8 a.m.
till 10 a.m. The upper half of the halo was very vivid, especially the one
closest to the zenith, with
red, yellow, and blue colors. As the halo wound its way downwards, the colors became more
diffuse, and at the bottom part, there was no halo at all. Interestingly, the upper half of the halo
didn't seem to form a ring around the sun, but seemed to form a larger circle with the sun not
being at the focus of the ring. Later on I saw the beginnings of a colored
ring at the bottom part,
but still not enough to form a complete ring. As the halo faded and the cloud moved on, the
remaining part of the halo was really the uppermost part.

Jun

<        Jun Lao, Editor, the Appulse       >
<    The Philippine Astronomical Society    >
< Bringing the Heavens Down to the Filipino >