From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/15/1996

> We carried on into the heart of the storm. At one point we could see
> the lower portion of the primary directly ahead of the car. This part
> of the rainbow eventually got so bright that we could not see cars
> more than a hundred meters ahead of us.

  In some cases when the drops are very big, rainbow could be very   intensive. Especially because you see that very near, the light   intensity would not decrease a much due the water in the air.   Your idea that the rainbow is produced from water sprays from   cars on highway is probably correct.

> Once we caught up to the storm we could see a broken rainbow with
> converging crepuscular rays inside the rainbow. Behind the storm
> was a collection of small low clouds that produced the crepuscular
> rays.

  I do not say them as 'crepuscular rays'. Crepuscular rays are   seen in twilight time just before or after sunset. They are   due to huminidity and dust in the 20-30 kms altitude. We used   to called those rays you saw as 'cloud rays'. The are produced   dust on cloud level and are seen also in day time.

  The rays cross the rainbow /inside rainbow are seen occasionally   and are in my opionion very nice phenomena especially when rays   are very clear.

                                                  -VeikkoM-