From: =^.^= (bparks_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/15/1996

At 07:21 PM 8/14/96 -0700, you wrote:
> These are caclled mammiform clouds, or more formally "cumulonimbus
>mammatus" and are usually (in these parts) seen hanging from the anvils
of
>storms that are on the wane. They result from cold air sinking in cells.
>The terminology is perhaps a bit sexist, but at least accurate in this
case.
>They're best seen when the Sun is very low so that it's lighting the
clouds
>from underneath.
>\Brian

True, true. As you said, sexist but accurate. In fact, my friend, Fran, who
was with me commented that they looked like a bunch of women lying stomach down with "their boobs hanging beneath them."

And, yes, that particular storm was waning and the Sun was fairly low, as it
was about 5:00 p.m.

BTW, Brian, is Lowell Observatory the one on Mt. Lemmon? If it is, than I've
got a question to ask you for another friend of mine...

Ciao!
Bev =^.^= bparks_at_primenet.com
http://www.primenet.com/~bparks/