From: Brian Skiff (bas_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/22/1995

     The effect of increased precip rate I was referring to was more specifically _during_ a fairly steady downpour: it's raining hard already, then following a nearby lightning bolt/thunder, the intensity increases incrementally. It doesn't always happen, but each such instance seems to coincide with the thunder. As Chris Luginbuhl notes, someone (ahem) needs to watch a few storms and get some statistics.

     The French Meteosat image taken a few hours after the early-morning storm in Strasbourg showed an isolated Cb tower off to the east of us, so evidently that was the one we got. Strasbourg received more showers yesterday afternoon (21 June), including another quite intense storm. Again, the nearby lightning strokes produced a softened sizzling attack in thunder sound (these strokes hit within 100-200 meters) like water on a hot frying pan, and generally lacking in low frequencies. The buildings in the area indeed have scales and separations on the few tens of meters scale, and so Chris' suggestion about acoustic damping might work. Any atmospher-acousticians out there?
\Brian